Skip to main content

Will your child be heading off to college?

In just a few weeks, students will be heading to college for the start of fall classes.

If your child will be living in a dorm and owns a computer, microwave, mini refrigerator, e-reader, smart phone, television, and a video gaming system and plans to take these items, your homeowners insurance policy should have you covered.

Most homeowners insurance policies will extend coverage to theft of personal belongings in your child’s dorm. Homeowners definition of “insured” includes “a student enrolled in school full-time, as defined by the school, who was a resident of your household before moving out to attend school, provided the student is under the age of 24 and your relative.”

If it takes your child five or six years to complete his undergraduate degree or your child continues on to graduate school and they reach the age of 25 before completing school, they are no longer insured under your homeowners insurance.

However, you can add – Student Living Away from the Residence Premises – to your homeowners policy that can extend coverage to a student who is age 25 or older.

Just remember, coverage does not extend to an off-campus apartment rented by your child. For that you’ll need renter’s insurance.

For more information on homeowners insurance coverage for your child’s dorm room and renter’s insurance, call E. R. Munro and Company at 877-376-8676 or visit our website at