Everyone loves a crackling fire in a beautiful fireplace or wood stove. Maintaining your chimney is an important component of fire safety.
Here are some tips for chimney maintenance:
- Have your chimney inspected and cleaned on a regular basis.
- When possible, burn seasoned woods (the dryness of the wood is more important than hard wood versus soft wood).
- Smaller, hotter fires will burn more completely and produce less smoke than larger fires.
- Do not burn cardboard boxes or trash, as they can spark a chimney fire.
- Install stovepipe thermometers, which help monitor flue temperatures where wood stoves are in use, then adjust burning practices as needed.
This public service announcement is brought to you by E. R. Munro and Company. We can answer your #insurance questions at 877-376-8676. Or visit our Web site at: www.ermunro.com.