Hurricane season is almost here and people living in coastal areas need to be prepared for the possibility of a hurricane. Hurricanes can cause substantial damage, so it is important to take steps to protect your home. Here are six tips on how to prepare your home for hurricane season:
- Clear your yard. Make sure there is nothing in your yard that could blow around during a hurricane and damage your home. This includes things like lawn furniture, grills, and toys.
- Cover your windows and doors. If you have storm shutters, put them up. If you do not have storm shutters, you can cover your windows and doors with plywood. This will help to protect your home from flying debris.
- Secure your home. Make sure your roof is in good repair and that all your windows and doors are closed and locked. You may also want to consider boarding up your windows and doors.
- Have an emergency plan. In the event of a hurricane, you may need to evacuate your home. Make sure you have a plan for where you and your family will go and what you will take with you.
- Assemble an emergency kit. An emergency kit should include food, water, first aid supplies, and other essentials that you will need if you are unable to leave your home for an extended period.
- Review your insurance policies. Make sure you have adequate coverage for your home and its contents. Many homeowners do not know what is and is not covered. Talk to your insurance agent to see what your policy covers and whether you need additional coverage.
Contact us if you have questions or need assistance at 877-376-8676 or email [email protected]